- 12-hours of instruction in the ancient art of Glass Bead Making (lampwork)
- 3-hours of Jewelry Design instruction (using the beads you made)
- 4-hours of extra practice time at the torch
This class voucher can be purchased for your own use (dates to be decided after purchase) or given as a gift (a gift certificate can be provided, which can be emailed to the recipient or printed).
What does the course cover?
We are excited to announce this very unique learning experience, offered in an extraordinary location: Create your own glass beads at the torch while working with Tim, and then work with Lily to turn those beads into your own beaded necklace and/or bracelet!
Beginning with learning the basics of glass bead making (Lampworking), you will literally create from glass rods the beads that are to be used in your necklace or bracelet, in the size, shape and colors you desire. Then, using those beads, along with others you select in-store, you will design and string your own one-of-a-kind piece, learning the most tried and true methods of jewelry design as you go. This is a truly unique and inspirational course!
Days 1, 2 and 3: Glass Bead Making. The course begins with a brief introduction to the equipment and safety procedures. You will then work side-by-side with Tim as he demonstrates and explains the various bead making techniques. Some of the areas we will explore are:
- Consistently forming a good base bead
- Pulling stringer / Applying stringer decoration
- Dots, layering dots, feathering, poking, squashing, raking, twisting, etc.
- Bead shapes: Flattened beads, Bi-cone, Barrels, etc.
- Encasing your beads in glass
- Working with Silver Leaf
- Techniques for consistent recreation of bead styles
- Adding Murrine (Millefiori) to beads
And of course all of the beads you make are yours to keep.
On day 4 of the course you will spend 3 hours with Designer Lily Morda, who can assist you in creating a beautiful piece(s) of jewelry using the beads you made in the course (Stringing materials and basic findings included. Other beads and materials may be purchased with a 10% store discount).
Our bead making facilities are available for hire, so you can come into the studio and practice in your own time once you are suitably experienced.
Our Bead Making Stations:
Each of our bead making stations are equipped with Nortel Minor Bench Burner torches which operate using an oxygen and propane mix. Each student is assigned their own work station and torch.
We use Italian glass rods from the Venetian island of Murano for all of our bead making and instruction.
What do I need to bring?
Nothing but yourself and a desire to learn! If you have long hair, it’s best tied back, and avoid wearing synthetic clothes or long flowing sleeves. (Short sleeves or tight fitting long sleeves are best.) All your glass, materials, tools and use of kilns, along with coffee and tea are provided.
- For cancellations made 8 weeks in advance we offer a 75% refund or one free date change
- For cancellations made 6 weeks in advance we offer a 50% refund or one free date change
- For cancellations made 4 weeks in advance we can only offer a 50% refund or one free date change
If we receive less than 4 weeks notice we are unable to offer a refund. We can, however, offer one free date change.
Course Dates & Times:
Private classes are at a time and date to suit you. You will be contacted once we receive your voucher purchase. When purchasing your voucher you will be given the opportunity to tell us your preferred course date.
If you and a friend or two would like to schedule a class together, discounted group pricing is offered. For group rates to apply all instruction must occur with all students present at the same time.